Wednesday 27 August 2014

...6 Terns in a day!


An amazing morning bird watching on Dawlish Warren. I arrived at the reserve at around 0900, taking a stroll through Greenland Lake, only to see a possible Sparrowhawk, in the woodland, near the VC (Visitor Centre). I walked up to John's Watch (at top of the reserve), to see 6 or 7 Sanderlings on the beach near Goyne 9, with plenty of Terns, including 3 Black Terns offshore. I finally met up with Lee Collins and we headed down to the Bird Hide. 

From the bird hide, we couldn't believe our eyes.... All 6 species of Tern were present....Sandwich Tern, Common Tern, Arctic Tern, Roseate Tern (my favorite), Black Tern and Little Tern. Disappointed that I didn't get a decent picture of an Arctic Tern...but still time I guess! I am very pleased with getting 3 Roseate Terns in the same field of view...amazing!! 

Roseate Tern

2 more Roseate Terns....3 in total today!


Black Tern

Common Tern and Sandwich Tern

Other birds seen on site during the morning were, Sanderlings, Dunlin, Ringed Plover, 3 Turnstones, Redshank, Curlew, Knot and Teal in the estuary, as well as the usual Oystercatchers sitting in front of the hide. So much attention paid on the Terns, I was bound to miss a lots of other species today.

Enjoy the pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment